Welcome to the 'Höheren Internatsschule
des Bundes' in Vienna!
The H.I.B. Vienna is an Austrian public school.
It offers four different programs, all of which
conclude with a comprehensive final examination
(Matura) after the eighth and final year.
- 'Gymnasium' for Modern Languages:
Not only does this program include enough
Latin instruction to satisfy all of the upper-level
requirements of the Ministry of Education,
it also places special emphasis and value
on the acquisition of 'living' languages (French,
- Art Program: The curriculum of this
program, 'Artistic Development', is offered
for between 5 and 7 hours of class instruction
per week. This class imparts practical methods
(painting, graphic design, sculpting, photography,
film etc.) in addition to art theory and art
- Music Program: The curriculum of this
program, 'Musical Development', is offered
for between 3 and 5 hours of classroom instruction
per week. In addition, mandatory instrument
lessons bring the student closer to mastery
of his/her chosen musical instrument.
- Ballet Program: The students' schedule
is created in cooperation with the Austrian
State Opera (Staatsoper) and the Conservatory
of Vienna. This program offers the opportunity
of intensive specialized dance instruction
coinciding with the fulfilment of all necessary
upper-level scholastic requirements, including
successful completion of the comprehensive
final examination (Matura).
Which Aspects of Our School Do Parents and Students
- A familiar atmosphere despite the size
of the school (presently about 850 students).
- International Flair provided through
our native-speaking foreign language assistants
and numerous foreign students from all over
- Unique course combinations: music,
art, dance, Latin and modern languages
- In addition: 32 elective courses and
- Creativity: choir, theater
and drama, symphonic ensemble, piano,
guitar, E- organ, recorder, flute,
clarinet, saxophone, percussion, violin,
cello, pop music, voice development
- Sports: basketball, football
(soccer), volleyball, endurance, strength
and speed, gymnastics and jazz-gymnastics.
- Languages: English, French,
Italian, Russian and Spanish
- Practical Skills: 'Cooking
Made Easy' for beginners and novices,
adventures in biology, political science
and law, computer science, rhetoric
and presentation, typing and word
processing on the PC, introduction
to Scientific Methods.
- Special Needs: courses for
dyslexic students, German as a second
- Spacious grounds including a basketball
court and an artificial-turf football field.
- Two large gymnasiums and a gymnastics
- In-house cafeteria with an alternating
regular and vegetarian menu.
- School and boarding under one roof
created after the principles of Otto Glöckel,
school reformer, who founded our school in
(Translation: Tim O'Brien, English language